Sunday, May 2, 2010

spring in the mountains

The past few days have all had one thing in common: snow. A storm blew in Wednesday and temporarily closed all of the roads in the park, save for the northern road. The snow kept falling on Thursday, and the only road open that day was from West to Old Faithful. Same for Friday. When I woke up on Friday, this much snow had accumulated on our porch railing overnight:


Understandably, visitors were very frustrated. A popular triathlon, Park to Paradise, scheduled for Saturday, was canceled. Finally on Saturday the weather let up enough that the roads were opened again, though it's been spitting snow every day and the forecast calls for snow showers through next weekend.

Given the weather, we haven't been out much, save for work. We've been making heavy pasta sauces, eating cinnamon rolls, drinking lots of hot tea. But today the sun finally shined more than it snowed, and I went out for a short drive. Signs of spring--baby bison:



A black bear foraging:



And two moose hidden in the trees:


Lest you think there's been no excitement around here, today I went out for a run and had to wait for two separate herds of bison to cross the road in front of me. As I waited for the second herd, a kind family offered me a lift in their car; I hopped in, they drove me safely through the bison herd, and then I went back to running down the hill.

Oh and, on Wednesday, on his way to Bozeman, Steve found himself face-to-face with a driver who decided the best way to avoid the police who were chasing him was to go the wrong way on Highway 90. You can read about it here:

http://www.kbzk.com/news/interstate-shut-down-man-arrested-after-police-pursuit-near-bozeman/


Never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment