Monday, April 26, 2010

five bear day

If Saturday was a fail, I made up for it with Sunday. I saw 5 bears before Steve got off work at 5:30: 3 grizzlies and 2 black bears.

I dropped Steve off at work and headed out towards the Lamar. As I came down the hill I spotted this bald eagle on top of a rock.


There were several cars stopped at Floating Island Lake, but I couldn't see anything and there wasn't any room to pull over, so I drove on. I made the turn at Roosevelt and there were antelope and bighorns at the Yellowstone Picnic Area. A few miles further I saw a couple of cars stopped, and as I came around the curve there was a large grizzly about 150 yards off the road.





There were baby bison running along the valley, and I watched this guy for a bit as he tried out his running legs.



On my way out of the valley I stopped at the Wrecker Pullout and watched another big grizz grazing. As I drove past Floating Island again I stopped and took a few shots of this napping black bear.


He'd sit up, roll over, and then go right back to sleep.



I passed another black bear on my way back to Mammoth, but he was out of sight before I could pull out my camera.

I stopped in at the Vistor's Center to say hi to Steve, and heard about a grizzly that was on the bison carcass up at Swan Lake Flats. This is the bison that the Canyon wolves took down a couple of days, and when I pulled up he was feeding on it.




He'd pause every few minutes to chase off the ravens that were trying to get a bite.


After a while he buried the carcass with dead grass and twigs, stood on top of it,


and then laid on top it.


It was clear what his message was: this is mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment