Monday, March 7, 2011

mesa: the cubbies

Steve, my dad, and I just got back from spending a long weekend in Mesa. The sole purpose of the trip? Spring Training! Go Cubs Go!


First things first, time to lay out all of our gear.


Day 1: Cubs vs. Padres


Soriano!


HoHoKam Park.



Autograph time...Steve waits patiently while we line the field, pens at the ready.


Sean Marshall:



My dad meeting Matt Camp:


Brett Jackson working the line:


Then we found out that Fergie Jenkins was in the stadium!


Cubs beat the Padres 9-4


Day 2: Cubs vs. Dodgers


Steve waits patiently again while we hunt for autographs...and catches a line-drive while the Dodgers take batting practice!


It's Len and Bob! First televised game on WGN.


Marlon Byrd warming up...


and then signing.


Cubs take the field.


Soto and Dempster, ready to go.


Before we headed down to Mesa, I told Steve that my goal was to get a picture with Kerry Wood. Probably not likely, he said. And then in the 4th my dad and I went down to buy a bottle of water, and who do I spot out of the corner of my eye? WOODY!


Nicest. Guy. Ever.

It took 10 innings, but the Cubs beat the Dodgers 5-3.


2 comments:

  1. You are hilarious! I those guys had a "W" for Wendie sign with them... awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sun. baseball. spring. training. YES, there's hope for the new season -- weather and otherwise. (and a sign with your initial on it!), can't get any better!

    ReplyDelete