Sunday, August 1, 2010

birthday summit

My friend Sarah's birthday was on Thursday, and we decided to climb a mountain. Call it the Montana way to celebrate a birthday.

We drove up out of Gardiner, through Jardine, and then hit the trail in the Gallatin National Forest.


The wildflowers were in full bloom,


and we had about 6 miles until we reached Fish Lake and the base of Monitor Peak.



Norris the dog wasn't sure about the climb up the mountain,


but the views were worth it.




Looking up, where we'd just been.


This hike was 13.2 miles, which brought my hiking total to 103 miles so far for the summer. I hit my 100 miles next to this strange little pond.


That night a group of us took Sarah to Chico Hot Springs for dinner. For the first time in
months I asked, "So what are you wearing tonight??" The biggest fashion dilemma around these parts normally is whether or not to leave the legs on your zip-off pants on--or zip 'em off. But we managed to clean up, dress up, and stay awake through dinner, and then soaked in the hot springs. Pretty good way to celebrate a birthday if you ask me...

No comments:

Post a Comment